Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Offroad Tires in Blender 2.5

Tonight I created some offroad tires in Blender 2.5

I'll try to get a tutorial put together outlining the techniques I used to create these later this week.  I'm really pretty happy with as it's one of my first project that I started with exactly 1 vertex as opposed to some other prim like a box or cylinder.

Here's the quick versions of how I did it...

  1. Selected a tire as a reference, in this case I just wanted a tread pattern to target, not shooting for an exact match as the end result.
  2. I created one strip of the tread pattern, placing quads around the treads I wanted.
  3. Once I had created one repeating section, I duplicated it, slid it over and rotated 180 and lined up where the treads would meet.
  4. Slapped on an array modifier, bound to a bezier circle and some tweaking to the offset to merge the first and last points correctly.
  5. This mesh is smoothed and edge clipped but no Sub-D
  6. For the rims I just drew a quick rim profile something like  "-________-" then spun it 360 degrees from top view, set the spacing to a number divisible by at least (2 * num of spokes you want) For me this was 20.  5 rims means I can make a couple interior edge loops and extrude every other 2 faces nd it comes together nicely in the middle.  A real quick an dirty way for a rim.
  7. Finish by removing doubles and recalc normals
  8. Finally, just some base material settings
Here is the result, no real materials or textures yet just some base colors...and the wheels are just a quick 10 minute throw together to stuff something in there.  I'll make a good wheel for them next.



No comments:

Post a Comment